close hamburger search alert

back to Health & Wellness

Health Tip: Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

powered by healthline

Average Ratings

Have heating systems serviced annually

(HealthDay News) -- Carbon monoxide (CO) is a toxic gas that you can't see or smell, but it can kill people and animals if a leak isn't detected quickly.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says here's what you can do to help reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Have any coal-burning, oil or gas appliances or heating systems serviced annually by a qualified technician.
  • Make sure your home has a working, battery-operated carbon monoxide detector; change batteries twice each year when the time changes.
  • If your detector sounds or if you have any symptoms of CO poisoning (such as nausea, dizziness or light-headedness), leave the home immediately and call 911.
  • Don't use any appliance or device that burns gasoline or charcoal inside your home or near an open window.
  • Never let your car run inside a garage, even with the garage door open.
  • Never use a gas oven to heat your home, and never use a fireplace or stove that isn't vented.

-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Article from
Top of page
General Drug Tools
General Drug Tools
view all
Health Management
Health Management Programs
view all
Tools for
Healthy Living
Tools for Healthy Living
view all