Heart Attack Doctors
Family practice physicians, cardiologists and cardiovascular surgeons can help you care for, prevent and recover from a heart attack.

powered by Talix

Average Ratings

There are several types of doctors involved in heart attack care, prevention and rehabilitation.

Primary Care Physician

It is important to discuss your heart health with your primary care physician. Your doctor will assess your risk factors for heart disease, monitor your blood pressure and cholesterol levels, and recommend ways to improve your heart health through lifestyle changes and/or medication.


If you have an elevated risk of heart attack, survived a heart attack, or are experiencing symptoms of cardiovascular disease, your doctor will likely refer you to a cardiologist. A cardiologist is a doctor who specializes in diagnosing and treating conditions of the cardiovascular system, including the heart and blood vessels. Cardiologists specialize in different areas and perform many interventional procedures such as cardiac catheterization. A cardiologist will also help you through the process of rehabilitation following a heart attack or heart surgery.

Cardiovascular Surgeon

A cardiovascular surgeon is a doctor who specializes in surgery of the heart and blood vessels. Any heart surgery following a heart attack, including coronary artery bypass surgery, is performed by a cardiovascular surgeon. A cardiovascular surgeon works directly with your cardiologist for continuing care and rehabilitation following heart surgery.  

Written by: the Healthline Editorial Team
Edited by:
Medically Reviewed by: Jennifer Monti, MD
Published By: Healthline Networks, Inc.
Top of page