Why You Should Take Your Medicine
People have lots of reasons why they don't take their medications. In some cases, they start feeling better, so they stop taking it. Sometimes they forget to take it, or they forget to get refills on time. Are you having trouble remembering to take your medications for any reason?
Do any of these statements describe you?
- I can't afford my drugs. You might be able to get help through programs run by some states, organizations, or pharmaceutical companies. You may also be able to use a generic, which may cost less.
- My drugs make me feel bad. Make sure you are following the directions. You could also ask your doctor if there is a different drug you can take.
- I take many drugs. Make a daily schedule, so you can stay on track. If you have trouble making a schedule, ask your doctor or pharmacist for help.
- I don't know why my medicine is needed. Ask your doctor to tell you how each drug will help you. Talk to your doctor about any concerns.
- I think medicines are not safe or won't work. Talk to your doctor so you understand how the medicine will work, and ask if there are any other options.
Missing your medicine may mean missing out on feeling your best and staying healthier. Here are some tips to help you stay on track:
- Don't just stop. If you have concerns, talk to your doctor before you make any changes to your medication amounts or times.
- Get organized. Use a medication schedule and pill box to help you take the right amount of drugs at the right time, every time. Carry doses with you, if you will be away from home when it's time to take your drugs. Using the auto refill option and mail order will also help you get your drug refills on time.
- All Together Now. Use the same pharmacy for everything. Going to one place will be more convenient for you. It will also help your pharmacist find any possible interactions between your drugs.
Your medicine will only help if you take it the way your doctor prescribed. If you have trouble staying on track, talk to your doctor. There may be better options for you.