What is this medicine?
NAPROXEN; SUMATRIPTAN (na PROS en; soo ma TRIP tan) is used to treat migraines with or without aura. An aura is a strange feeling or visual disturbance that warns you of an attack. This medicine is not used to prevent migraines.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- heart disease
- hemiplegic or basilar migraine
- high blood pressure
- high cholesterol
- if you frequently drink alcohol containing drinks
- irregular heartbeat
- ischemic bowel disease
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- low blood counts, like low white cell, platelet, or red cell counts
- lung or breathing disease, like asthma
- peripheral vascular disease like intermittent claudication
- stomach problems
- take medicines that treat or prevent blood clots
- taken an MAOI like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, or Parnate in last 14 days
- an unusual or allergic reaction to Naproxen; Sumatriptan, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. You can take it with or without food. If it upsets your stomach, take it with food. Do not cut, crush, or chew this medicine. Do not take it more often than directed.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?
This does not apply; this medicine is not for regular use.
What may interact with this medicine?
What drug(s) may interact with Naproxen; Sumatriptan?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- ergot alkaloids like dihydroergotamine, ergonovine, ergotamine, methylergonovine
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
- medicines for migraine headache like almotriptan, eletriptan, frovatriptan, naratriptan, rizatriptan, sumatriptan, zolmitriptan
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors (ACE inhibitors) like captopril, enalapril, lisinopril, and ramipril
- aspirin and aspirin-like medicines
- medicines for blood pressure like amlodipine, felodipine, nifedipine
- medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like warfarin, enoxaparin, and dalteparin
- NSAIDS, medicines for pain and inflammation, like ibuprofen or naproxen
- selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors such as citalopram, escitalopram, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, paroxetine, and sertraline
- steroid medicines like prednisone or cortisone