What is this medicine?
LISDEXAMFETAMINE (lis DEX am fet a meen) is used to treat attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Federal law prohibits giving this medicine to any person other than the person for whom it was prescribed. Do not share this medicine with anyone else.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- hardening or blockages of the arteries or heart blood vessels
- heart disease or a heart defect
- high blood pressure
- history of alcohol or drug abuse
- psychotic illness, depressed mood, or suicidal thoughts
- seizure disorder
- taken an MAOI like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, or Parnate in last 14 days
- thyroid problems
- Tourette's syndrome
- an unusual or allergic reaction to lisdexamfetamine, other amphetamines, tartrazine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?
Take this medicine by mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Swallow the capsules with a drink of water. You may open capsule and add to a glass of water, then drink right away. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not suddenly stop your medicine. You must gradually reduce the dose or you may feel withdrawal effects. Ask your doctor or health care professional for advice.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 6 years of age for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
What may interact with this medicine?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- certain migraine headache medicines like almotriptan, eletriptan, frovatriptan, naratriptan, rizatriptan, sumatriptan, zolmitriptan
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
- other stimulant medications like dexmethylphenidate, methylphenidate, modafinil
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- ammonium chloride
- green tea
- medicines for colds, sinus, and breathing difficulties
- medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
- medicines for seizures
- medicines for sleep during surgery
- medicines for the heart or blood pressure
- phenothiazines like chlorpromazine, mesoridazine, prochlorperazine, thioridazine
- sodium acid phosphate
- sodium bicarbonate