ginseng (generic name)
- Auto Immune Conditions
- Bladder & Kidney Health
- Brain & Nervous System
- Care Transitions
- Dental Health
- Emotional Health
- Eye Health
- Falls Prevention
- Financial Planning
- General Safety
- Health Care Basics
- Healthy Living
- Hearing Loss
- Heart Health
- High Blood Pressure
- Life Transitions
- Lung Health
- Men's Health
- Nutrition & Weight Management
- Pain Management
- Preventive Health
- Sexual Health
- Stomach & Digestive Health
- Stress & Anxiety
- Women's Health
What is this medicine?GINSENG (JIN seng) is an herbal or dietary supplement. It is promoted to help improve physical performance. It is also promoted to help support the body's natural defense systems. The FDA has not approved this supplement for any medical use.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- abnormal vaginal bleeding or pain
- breast cancer
- high blood pressure
- an unusual or allergic reaction to ginseng, other herbs, plants, medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the package labeling, or take as directed by your health care professional. If this medicine upsets your stomach, take it with food. Do not take this medicine more often than directed.
Contact your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
What may interact with this medicine?
- diuretics like bumetanide, furosemide, torsemide
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
- medicines for high blood pressure or heart problems like diltiazem, nifedipine, verapamil
What should I watch for while using this medicine?See your doctor if your symptoms do not get better or if they get worse.
If you are scheduled for any medical or dental procedure, tell your healthcare provider that you are taking this medicine. You may need to stop taking this medicine before the procedure.
If you have diabetes, monitor your blood sugar closely while taking you are taking this medicine.
Herbal or dietary supplements are not regulated like medicines. Rigid quality control standards are not required for dietary supplements. The purity and strength of these products can vary. The safety and effect of this dietary supplement for a certain disease or illness is not well known. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
The Food and Drug Administration suggests the following to help consumers protect themselves:
- Always read product labels and follow directions.
- Natural does not mean a product is safe for humans to take.
- Look for products that include USP after the ingredient name. This means that the manufacturer followed the standards of the US Pharmacopoeia.
- Supplements made or sold by a nationally known food or drug company are more likely to be made under tight controls. You can write to the company for more information about how the product was made.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breast lump, pain
- fast heartbeat
- feeling anxious
- increased hunger
- unusual vaginal bleeding
- unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- sleeping problems
Where should I keep my medicine?Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature. Protect from moisture. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.