chondroitin-glucosamine (generic name)
Osteo Bi-Flex Double Strength (brand name)
- Auto Immune Conditions
- Bladder & Kidney Health
- Brain & Nervous System
- Care Transitions
- Dental Health
- Emotional Health
- Eye Health
- Falls Prevention
- Financial Planning
- General Safety
- Health Care Basics
- Healthy Living
- Hearing Loss
- Heart Health
- High Blood Pressure
- Life Transitions
- Lung Health
- Men's Health
- Nutrition & Weight Management
- Pain Management
- Preventive Health
- Sexual Health
- Stomach & Digestive Health
- Stress & Anxiety
- Women's Health
What is this medicine?CHONDROITIN; GLUCOSAMINE (chon DROI tin; gloo KOH suh meen) is a dietary supplement. It is promoted for its ability to reduce the symptoms of osteoarthritis by maintaining healthy joint cartilage. The FDA has not approved this supplement for any medical use.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- heart disease
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- stomach or intestinal problems
- an unusual or allergic reaction to chondroitin, glucosamine, sulfonamides, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?Take this supplement by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the package labeling, or take as directed by your health care professional. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take this supplement more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
What may interact with this medicine?Check with your doctor or healthcare professional if you are taking any of the following medications:
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Tell your doctor or healthcare professional if your symptoms do not start to get better or if they get worse. This supplement may take several weeks to work for you.
If you are scheduled for any medical or dental procedure, tell your healthcare provider that you are taking this supplement. You may need to stop taking this supplement before the procedure.
This supplement may affect blood sugar levels. If you have diabetes, check with your doctor or health care professional before you change your diet or the dose of your diabetic medicine.
Herbal or dietary supplements are not regulated like medicines. Rigid quality control standards are not required for dietary supplements. The purity and strength of these products can vary. The safety and effect of this dietary supplement for a certain disease or illness is not well known. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
The Food and Drug Administration suggests the following to help consumers protect themselves:
- Always read product labels and follow directions.
- Natural does not mean a product is safe for humans to take.
- Look for products that include USP after the ingredient name. This means that the manufacturer followed the standards of the US Pharmacopoeia.
- Supplements made or sold by a nationally known food or drug company are more likely to be made under tight controls. You can write to the company for more information about how the product was made.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- difficulty sleeping
- hair loss
- loss of appetite
- stomach pain
- swelling of the ankles or feet
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- upset stomach