How to Change Medicare Plans | AARP® Medicare Plans from UnitedHealthcare®
close hamburger search alert

How to Change Medicare Plans

Questions? Call UnitedHealthcare toll-free at:
(TTY 711)

Hours: 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. local time, 7 days a week

Need help?Chat
live with a sales agent.

You can get your Medicare coverage through the federal government or a private insurance company.

Original Medicare Parts A and B is administered by the federal government. Medicare Advantage plans (Part C) are an alternative to Original Medicare offered by private insurance companies.

Medicare prescription drug plans are also offered by private insurance companies. These plans may be added to Original Medicare.

Change How You Get Your Coverage

To leave Original Medicare and enroll in a Medicare Advantage (Part C) plan, all you need to do is sign up for the new plan. You don't have to tell Original Medicare about the change.

You can switch from a Medicare Advantage plan to Original Medicare by notifying the plan that you want to disenroll. Your coverage will automatically revert to Original Medicare.

If you go back to Original Medicare, you may want to add a prescription drug plan (Part D) to your coverage. Remember that you cannot be without creditable coverage    longer than 63 days without incurring a premium penalty.

Switch to a Different Private Medicare Plan

To change from one Medicare Part C or Part D plan to another, you can just sign up for the new plan.

Typically, you are automatically disenrolled from your old plan. You may want to notify the old plan about the change for good measure. But it's not required. 

What do you want to do next?


Or view UnitedHealthcare plans

Get help choosing a plan

Take a short questionnaire to help find a Medicare plan that may be right for you.

start the plan selector