What is this medicine?
THYROTROPIN ALFA (thahy ruh TROH pin AL fa) is a man-made protein. It is used to diagnosis any remaining thyroid cancer after treatment.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- cancer that has spread to other parts of the body
- have thyroid tissue remaining
- heart disease
- kidney disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to thyroid products, bovine thyroid stimulating hormone, other hormones, medicines, foods, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?
This medicine is for injection into a muscle. It is given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?
It is important not to miss your dose. Call your doctor or health care professional if you are unable to keep an appointment.
What may interact with this medicine?
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Your condition will be monitored carefully while you are receiving this medicine.
Visit your doctor for check-ups as directed.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- chest pain
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- flu-like symptoms
- pain, tingling, numbness in the hands or feet
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- nausea, vomiting
- trouble sleeping
- weak or tired
Where should I keep my medicine?
This drug is given in a hospital or clinic and will not be stored at home.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children,
never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.