What is this medicine?
PAROXETINE (pa ROX e teen) is used to treat depression. It may also be used to treat anxiety disorders, obsessive compulsive disorder, panic attacks, post traumatic stress, and premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD).
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- bleeding disorders
- heart disease
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- low levels of sodium in the blood
- mania or bipolar disorder
- suicidal thoughts, plans, or attempt; a previous suicide attempt by you or a family member
- take MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
- take medicines that treat or prevent blood clots
- an unusual or allergic reaction to paroxetine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?
Take this medicine by mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Shake well before using. Use a specially marked spoon or container to measure your medicine. Ask your pharmacist if you do not have one. Household spoons are not accurate. You can take it with or without food. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking this medicine suddenly except upon the advice of your doctor. Stopping this medicine too quickly may cause serious side effects or your condition may worsen.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
What may interact with this medicine?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
- methylene blue (injected into a vein)
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- aspirin and aspirin-like medicines
- certain medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
- certain medicines for irregular heart beat like propafenone, flecainide, encainide, and quinidine
- certain medicines for migraine headache like almotriptan, eletriptan, frovatriptan, naratriptan, rizatriptan, sumatriptan, zolmitriptan
- medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like warfarin, enoxaparin, and dalteparin
- medicines for sleep
- NSAIDs, medicines for pain and inflammation, like ibuprofen or naproxen
- supplements like St. John's wort, kava kava, valerian