What is this medicine?
METHYLPHENIDATE(meth il FEN i date) is used to treat attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- difficulty swallowing, problems with the esophagus, or a history of blockage of the stomach or intestines
- family history of suicide
- heart condition or recent history of a heart attack
- high blood pressure
- history of a drug or alcohol abuse problem
- liver disease
- mental illness, including anxiety, bipolar disorder, depression, mania or schizophrenia
- motor tics, family history or diagnosis of Tourette's syndrome
- overactive thyroid
- taken an MAOI like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, or Parnate in last 14 days
- an unusual or allergic reaction to methylphenidate, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Do not crush, cut, or chew the capsule. You may take this medicine with food. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take it more often than directed. If you take your medicine more than once a day, try to take your last dose at least 8 hours before bedtime. This well help prevent the medicine from interfering with your sleep.
If you have difficulty swallowing, the capsule may be opened and the contents gently sprinkled on a small amount (1 tablespoon) of cool applesauce. Do not sprinkle on warm applesauce or this may result in improper dosing. The contents of the capsule should not be crushed or chewed. Take the medicine immediately after sprinkling on the cool applesauce. Do not store for future use. Drink a glass of water, milk or juice after taking the sprinkles with applesauce.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 6 years for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
What may interact with this medicine?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- medicines called MAO Inhibitors like Nardil, Parnate, Marplan, Eldepryl
- other stimulant medicines like amphetamine, dextroamphetamine, dexmethylphenidate, modafinil
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- medicines for blood pressure
- medicines to decrease appetite or cause weight loss
- medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
- medicines for seizures