What is this medicine?
METHYLPHENIDATE (meth il FEN i date) is a stimulant medicine. It is used to treat attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- family history of suicide
- heart condition or recent history of a heart attack
- high blood pressure
- history of a drug or alcohol abuse problem
- liver disease
- mental illness, including anxiety, bipolar disorder, depression, mania or schizophrenia
- motor tics, family history or diagnosis of Tourette's syndrome
- overactive thyroid
- taken an MAOI like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, or Parnate in last 14 days
- an unusual or allergic reaction to methylphenidate, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?
Take this medicine by mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Shake well before using. Use a specially marked spoon or container to measure each dose. Ask your pharmacist if you do not have one. Household spoons are not accurate. You can take it with or without food. If it upsets your stomach, take it with food. You should take this medicine in the morning. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 6 years of age for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
Overdosage: If you think you've taken too much of this medicine contact a poison control center or emergency room at once.
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
What may interact with this medicine?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
- other stimulant medicines for attention disorders, weight loss, or to stay awake
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- certain medicines for blood pressure
- certain medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
- certain medicines for seizures like carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin
- cold or allergy medicines