What is this medicine?
DEXMETHYLPHENIDATE (dex meth ill FEN i date) is used to treat attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. Federal law prohibits the transfer of this medicine to any person other than the person for whom it was prescribed. Do not share this medicine with anyone else.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- a history of alcohol or drug abuse
- heart condition or recent history of a heart attack
- high blood pressure
- liver disease
- mental illness, including anxiety, bipolar disorder, depression, mania or schizophrenia
- motor tics, family history or diagnosis of Tourette's syndrome
- overactive thyroid
- seizures (convulsions) or an abnormal brain scan
- an unusual or allergic reaction to dexmethylphenidate, methylphenidate, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Swallow whole. Do not crush, cut, or chew. The capsule may be opened and the dose gently sprinkled on a small amount (1 tablespoon) of cool applesauce. Do not sprinkle on warm applesauce or this may result in improper dosing. The sprinkles should not be crushed or chewed. Take immediately after sprinkling. Do not store for future use. Drink some fluids (water, milk or juice) after taking the sprinkles with applesauce. You can take this medicine with or without food. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this medicine may be prescribed for children as young as 6 years for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
What may interact with this medicine?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- medicines called MAO Inhibitors like Nardil, Parnate, Marplan, Eldepryl
- other stimulant medicines like amphetamine, dextroamphetamine, dexmethylphenidate, methylphenidate and modafinil
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- medicines for high blood pressure
- other medicines for mental depression or anxiety
- seizure or epilepsy medicine