chlorpheniramine-phenylephrine (generic name)
AlleRx (brand name)
- Auto Immune Conditions
- Bladder & Kidney Health
- Brain & Nervous System
- Care Transitions
- Dental Health
- Emotional Health
- Eye Health
- Falls Prevention
- Financial Planning
- General Safety
- Health Care Basics
- Healthy Living
- Hearing Loss
- Heart Health
- High Blood Pressure
- Life Transitions
- Lung Health
- Men's Health
- Nutrition & Weight Management
- Pain Management
- Preventive Health
- Sexual Health
- Stomach & Digestive Health
- Stress & Anxiety
- Women's Health
What is this medicine?CHLORPHENIRAMINE; PHENYLEPHRINE (klor fen IR a meen; fen il EF rin) is a combination of an antihistamine and a decongestant. It is used to treat symptoms of an allergy, cold, or sinus inflammation. It will help relieve runny nose, sneezing, and congestion in the nose. This medicine will not treat an infection.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- high blood pressure or heart disease
- taking MAOIs like Nardil, Parnate, Marplan, Eldepryl
- stomach ulcer
- thyroid disease
- trouble passing urine or enlarged prostate
- an unusual or allergic reaction to chlorpheniramine, phenylephrine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?Take this medicine by mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Use a specially marked spoon or container to measure your medicine. Household spoons are not accurate. Take this medicine with food if it upsets your stomach. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take it more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 2 years old for selected conditions, precautions do apply. Do not give this medicine to children under 2 years old.
Patients over 60 years old may have a stronger reaction and need a smaller dose.
What if I miss a dose?If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- alcohol or any product that contains alcohol
- barbiturates like phenobarbital
- medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
- medicines for sleep
- some medicines for cold, cough, or allergy
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Tell your doctor if your symptoms do not start to get better or if they get worse.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol may interfere with the effect of this medicine. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- changes in vision
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- fear, anxiety, or restless
- high or low blood pressure
- trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- dry mouth, nose, or throat
- loss of appetite
- stomach upset, nausea
Where should I keep my medicine?Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.