charcoal (generic name)
It is used to treat some poisonings or overdoses
(CHAHR kohl suh SPEN shuhn)
Table of Contents
Top Learning Centers(Recursos en Español)
What is this medicine?CHARCOAL SUSPENSION (CHAHR kohl suh SPEN shuhn) binds to substances in the stomach. It is used to treat some poisonings or overdoses. If a poisoning or overdose occurs, get emergency help. Do not treat a poisoning or overdose yourself.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
How should I use this medicine?Take this medicine by mouth. It is usually given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
If you are taking this medicine at home, follow the directions of your health care provider. Do not take this medicine unless told to do so. Shake well before using. This medicine works best if used within 30 to 60 minutes of overdose or poisoning. If the dose is vomited, ask your doctor what you should do.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?This does not apply; this medicine is not for regular use.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Accidental poisoning or overdose is a medical emergency. Use this medicine only as directed by a health care provider. Once you have used this first emergency treatment measure, see a doctor as soon as possible.
This medicine does not bind all toxic substances. Do not use this medicine to treat overdoses of petroleum products (like gasoline, kerosene, and some cleaning products), cyanide, alcohols, engine coolants, mineral acids, alkalai's or bases (like in many cleaning products), or iron. Get emergency help to treat any overdose or poisoning.
This medicine may bind to other medicines or dairy products in the stomach. Do not take any other medicines for at least 2 hours before or after taking this medicine. Do not eat or drink milk, cheese, or other diary for at least 2 hours before or after taking this medicine.
Take with plenty of water and keep a balanced diet after the emergency. This will help to prevent dehydration and nutritional problems.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
Where should I keep my medicine?Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Protect from heat and moisture. Do not freeze. Discard any unused suspension after you have opened the package. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.