Our bodies are made for motion, yet many of us spend a good portion of the day at our desks. Some studies have shown that people who sit for extended periods of time without taking short breaks are at a higher risk of developing heart disease than those who take time to stand up and walk around. Here are some fast and easy ways to keep your mind and body energized during the workday.
- Get Outside: Take a quick stroll over the lunch hour.
- Take the Stairs: Use the stairway instead of the elevator.
- Switch it Up: Use a restroom on another floor.
- Try a new seat: Sit at your desk on an exercise ball, which works core and back muscles, for short periods of time, if appropriate for your work environment.
Consult your doctor before starting a new exercise program or significantly increasing your level of activity.
Created on 09/09/2011
Updated on 09/09/2011
- National Institutes of Health
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services